Seminar: Information Systems and Service Design
- Type: Seminar (S)
- Semester: WS 18/19
Röser Building (Fritz-Erler Strasse 23), 2nd floor
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Alexander Mädche
- Lv-No.: 2500001
Information systems is an ever-changing field of study with numerous facets and research topics emerging. With this seminar, we aim to provide students with the possibility to independently work on state-of-the-art research topics in addition to the knowledge gained in our lectures.
In the seminar, participants will get deeper insights on current research in the field of information systems. The seminar is conceptualized as a literature-based thesis project. Our research assistants offer a rich pageant of diverse thesis topics from our research clusters such as digital experience and participation, intelligent enterprise systems, or information systems engineering and transformation. Students can select among these topics individually depending on their personal interests.
The actual seminar topics will be derived from current research activities of the research group. To further support students with methodological skills for master or bachelor theses, students are expected to conduct a structured literature review (SLR).
- focus on contemporary issues in the broad context of information systems to get an understanding of information systems in the large
- carry out a structured literature search for a given topic
- aggregate the collected information in a suitable way to present and extract knowledge
- write a seminar thesis following academic writing standards
- deliver a presentation in a scientific context in front of an auditorium
Depending on the supervisor and the individual research focus. We provide new seminar topics in every semester.
Will be announced. In general, there will be an inital kick-off session to introduce students who successfully applied into the method and the requirements, and to distribute topics among students.
- Kick-off Meeting October 24th, 2018 14:00 – 15:30
- Röser Building (Fritz-Erler Straße 23): 2nd floor, Seminar Room 255
- Submission deadline: Search String on November 25th, 2018 at 12:00 noon
- Submission deadline: Presentation File on January 13, 2019 at 12:00 noon
- Presentations on January 16, 2019 from 13:00 – 18:30
- Submission deadline: Seminar thesis on March, 13 2019 at 12:00 noon
Master students can visit the seminar. For the registration to the seminar, students have to use the WiWi-Portal
Within the seminar, students have to prepare a seminar thesis comprising up to 20 pages.
The assessment consists of a seminar paper, a presentation of the results, and the contribution to the discussions within the presentation sessions. The final grade is based on the evaluation of each component:
- seminar thesis (70%)
- seminar presentation (20%)
- contribution to discussion (10%)
After the assignment of students to their particular topic, each student will receive some starting literature from his/her supervisor. Furthermore, templates for the seminar thesis and its presentation as well as the lecture content will be uploaded in the ILIAS Portal .